In this article we are going to dive deeper into the nail salon industry and learn about the different safety and health concerns that can be present in these commercial environments to help protect nail salon workers and the Customers that frequent this growing industry.
Hazards in a Salon
A pinpoint salon may seem like a pretty minimal guess environment to most individuals, but if you have ever or if you work in a breeze through salon you may have a first-hand account of very how dangerous it can be to your health. There are a number of products that are used in a complete salon that will lead to pollution and fumes within the vent space, including nail polish, smash polish remover, nail filers, UV lights, etc. All of these nail concern products will ultimately contribute to contamination in the indoor air of the captive nail salon and contribute to an over-accumulation of pollutant hazards in the air. many salon technicians will try to shield themselves from these chemical fumes and pollutants by wearing face masks to guard against inhalant of these pollutants, however, the grimace masks that they wear provide very little security in actuality.
Reading: Are Nail Salon Fumes Toxic?
Chemical hazards are the most prevailing types of hazards in a nail salon quad, and this type of hazard ( second ) is something that must be dealt with immediately to stay in conformity with OSHA ( Occupational Safety and Health Administration ) worker regulations. many nail salons will have to implement breathing systems and air quality extenuation tools within their businesses to help meet the regulations for their workers safety and health .
Nail Salon Chemicals
The chemicals that are found in nail salons will affect the overall safety and health of the commercial environment and will flush contribute to lasting effects to those individual ’ randomness health that are heavily exposed to them in the publicize space. Many of the chemicals that nail salons expose people to are by and large all VOCs ( explosive organic compounds ) that can be volatile in nature and head to an impact to the air travel choice and populace health after its discharge into the indoor atmosphere space of this industry ’ second commercial environment .
Below we are going to discuss the major chemicals that can be found in a nail salon and learn more about how these chemicals play a role in the indoor environment of a salon, as well as how they impact the health of Customers and workers in this space.
- Acetone: A chemical that is used in nail polish remover, acetone is a chemical that is safe in low amounts, however, when large amounts of exposure to this chemical occurs in the environment it could lead to health problems. The chemical works to break down or dissolve substances like paints and varnishes, thus why it is used in nail polish remover to remove the nail polish coating on the nails. Acetone can lead to headaches, dizziness, and irritation to the eyes, skin, and throat.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is a well-known VOC that can be found in nail polish and nail hardeners that are used in a salon. This chemical can cause difficulty breathing, coughing, asthma-like symptoms, wheezing, allergic reactions, irritation to the eyes, skin, and throat.
- Ethyl Methacrylate (EMA): Ethyl Methacrylate is a chemical that is used as a type of acrylic monomer that is used for fake nails. This chemical will lead to asthma, irritation the eyes, skin, nose, and mouth, and difficulty concentrating.
- Methacrylic Acid: A chemical that is used in nail primers that help to expand the longevity of the polish on the fingernails. Methacrylic Acid will lead to skin burns and irritated eyes, nose, skin, mouth and throat. When this chemical is present in the indoor environment of a salon in high concentrations it can even lead to difficulty breathing in some individuals.
- Toluene: A chemical that is used in nail polish and in fingernail glue, this VOC will produce significant health reactions upon exposure in an indoor environment. These health effects from toluene can include dry or cracked skin, headaches, dizziness, irritated eyes, nose, and throat, damage to the liver and kidneys, etc.
- Quaternary ammonium compounds: A popular chemical that is used in the nail salon industry to disinfect surface, products, etc. This chemical, however, can lead to irritated skin and nose, and even can exacerbate asthma symptoms.
What is the Smell in Nail Salons
immediately when you walk through the doors of a complete salon your nuzzle is instantaneously assaulted by a solid smell that will stay with you even after you leave the pinpoint salon. The olfactory property is normally a mix between breeze through polish, collar polish remover, and clean products that are used to try to disinfect the products and areas that are heavily used by Customers. When a nail salon has limited ventilation and improper fume extractors/air quality solutions it will lead these smells to build up and worsen in the environment, which will lead to the impregnable smell that most Customers experience when they walk into the nail salon .
When the smells and chemical fumes become besides much inside of a collar salon with improper breathing and air choice solutions in place, they will normally open up windows and doors to help provide air flow through the build to minimize the smell. however, this is not a solution but a quick pay back for the clock being to remove the strong smell within the nail down salon .
Health and Safety in a Salon
Health and safety are always at the forefront of any businesses mind, particularly when it comes to their staff and Customers. These standards have been set by OSHA and are applied in every workplace to protect employers, staff, customers, and visitors and guests that may come into the indoor outer space of this business. When it comes to maintaining the recommended health and condom inwardly of a commercial business there are three factors that are authoritative to consider keeping up these highly necessary regulations ; environmental, occupational, and human factors that may compromise both of these significant characteristics inside of a nail salon.
Read more: Holographic and Iridescent Nail Polish
environmental factors within a nail salon that can taint both the health and safety in the salon will include conditions in the workplace, such as the temperature, breathing, and the overall noise within this indoor space. occupational factors are any likely risks of illness due to the services or treatments that they offer to Customers, such as asthma from exposure to chemical products used in complete salons. last, human factors inside of a nail down salon are related to how people can contribute to accidents due to carelessness, errors, or haste .
Nail Salon Health Risks
There is an array of likely health risks that an person may come into contact with during their time at a nail down salon, particularly those people who spend a big amount of prison term in this indoor space like breeze through salon workers. According to Moffitt Cancer Center, there are several independent health risks that are present in smash salons, and these risks can apply to both Customers and workers in this commercial space. The major health risks can include ultraviolet ( UV ) abstemious, hazardous chemicals, and specific cancer-causing compounds that are used and produced in the indoor publicize space of the salon .
- Ultraviolet (UV) Light: In a salon, there are a variety of services that will require the use of UV lights to harden and cure a topcoat of nail polish. Gel manicures and pedicures will require this UV light exposure and help to increase the longevity of the nail polish and keep the polish from chipping. The UV light lamps are very similar to the lights that are used in tanning beds. When an individual is exposed to the UV radiation produced from the lamps used in a nail salon it can promote skin damage and even cancer in some cases.
- Chemical Exposure: As we discussed previously, there are a wide range of products that are used in nail salons and some of these chemicals can be fairly dangerous to human health when exposure occurs in large quantities. Many of the chemicals found in nail salons like toluene, formaldehyde, acetone, and other chemicals will provoke health issues like skin irritation, headaches, breathing difficulties, and allergic reactions.
Nail salon workers are at an alarming risk of acquiring and developing several health issues due to their hand on vulnerability with these health hazards, ampere well as the high levels of exposure that they will incur during a workday. many nail salons will require their employees to wear protective equipment while they work such as gloves, face masks, and aprons to cover their body from electric potential chemical exposure .
Safe Nail Salons Ventilation
breathing is key when it comes to promoting a safe, healthy space inside of a nail salon business. many collar salons had previously skimped out when it came to installing proper ventilation and air travel quality solutions within their businesses indoor space, and focused more on furniture, nail down equipment, and labor. however, with more and more research that has come out and regulations that have been set by different states and OSHA, these commercial spaces are now having to focus more attention and money on integrating proper ventilation systems in these indoor spaces .
Indoor ventilation systems are used in commercial spaces to help increase air travel flow, push out contaminate air, and to help in the extenuation action of removing odors and chemicals from the indoor air space. Nail salons are known for their overabundant production of chemicals and noxious odors from the products that are used each and every day in these indoor spaces, and thus the breathing systems in these areas will help increase the condom in this space, created a more appeal environment to Customers and workers, and to improve the indoor tune timbre in the space.
Read more: Best metallic nail polish
Nail Salon Air Purifier
The integration of a proper commercial ventilation system in a nail down salon will be crucial to the success of the commercial space, particularly when it comes to protecting the health and base hit of all individuals that are exposed to this environment. Although the public discussion systems will help the indoor environment by allowing air menstruate throughout the space to push out stagnant atmosphere and allow newly air to invade the air, this does not mean that all chemicals and odors will be removed from the air travel. thus, it may be beneficial to add a source of air purification within the indoor space of a nail salon air quality to help mitigate and completely remove those refractory chemical fumes and noxious odors in the air .
The EnviroKlenz Air Purifier is an efficient and highly effective air filtration device that works through the use of a patent worldly concern mineral technology that is nonpoisonous and dependable for complete chemical and smell neutralization, specially as a nail salon air purifier. The engineering works by capturing, containing, and neutralizing a broad spectrum of noxious and toxic chemicals and odors from the airspace, completely destroying them without a gamble for re-releasing them into the air of the environment. The EnviroKlenz technology is unlike other breeze purification technologies, such as carbon, ionizers, and ozone, all of which will either work by storing pollutants on a filter media or by using a product to attach to the pollutants in the air – which can be more dangerous in most cases. rather of filtering pollutants through these popular methods, EnviroKlenz will actually take in and wholly neutralize pollutants from the environment, leaving you with no worries or fears that they will once again be re-released into your indoor air space .
Learn more about the one-of-a-kind EnviroKlenz Air Purifier and EnviroKlenz HVAC Filter now!