This article looks at what causes brittle nails, some treatments and self-care tips, and when to see a doctor of the church.
parcel on PinterestToo little moisture is a possible cause of brittle nails. excessively much or besides short moisture, normally due to external factors, is the most likely cause of brittle nails. The AOCD define two wide categories of brittle nails due to moisture issues : hard and brittle, and gentle and brittle .
Too little moisture
When a person ’ mho nails are hard and brittle, the nail lack enough moisture. frequent wet and dry of the nails from activities such as hand washing or doing the dishes can strip the moisture from the nails. People are besides more probable to have dry nails in hot, dry environments or during the winter months .
Too much moisture
soft and brittle nails occur when the nails have excessively much moisture. This can happen as a resultant role of using besides much moisturizer on the hands. It could besides be the result of using coarse chemicals such as acetone to remove breeze through polish .
There are besides some other factors and underlying conditions that can result in brittle nails :
- Anemia: This condition occurs when a person’s body does not produce enough hemoglobin. This is a protein that carries oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. Sometimes, an iron deficiency causes anemia. Anemia can cause extreme fatigue.
- Thyroid disorder: This condition causes a person’s body to create too many or too few hormones. When this happens, it can affect the body’s absorption of minerals. As a result, a person’s nails may split away from their beds.
- Age: Age can affect the strength of a person’s nails. Nails naturally decrease in strength over time, which can cause them to break more easily.
According to the AOCD, if only the fingernails are split or brittle and the toenails are strong, an external component or condition may be the induce.
Treatments and home remedies
There are limited treatments and medications available for brittle nails. A sophisticate may simply recommend taking supplements to strengthen them. however, the following base care tips may help strengthen the nails.
Read more: Top 10 Best Nail Salons In Phoenix, Arizona
Applying nail hardener
For people with easy nails, applying a clear coat of nail down polish or another nail merchandise may help increase breeze through military capability over meter .
People with dry nails may wish to consider using a moisturizer on their hands and nails. They can do this during the day or at night before bed. Increasing moisture can help dry nail become less brittle .
Wearing gloves when washing the dishes or using clean products can help prevent promote wrong and strengthen the nails.
Diet and nutrition
Making some of the play along changes to diet may help strengthen brittle nails :
- Taking supplements: The AOCD recommend taking biotin vitamin supplements. They say that it can take up to 6 months for it to work, but that it is effective in about one-third of all cases. Other supplements to consider include colloidal minerals, gelatin, and calcium.
- Getting adequate protein in the diet: Nails are largely made up of keratin protein. Eating the right amount of protein is vital for boosting keratin production and maintaining strong nails.
- Eating iron-rich foods: If a person has an iron deficiency or anemia, they should consider eating foods rich in iron, such as red meat or spinach. They may also consider taking iron supplements, but they should consult their doctor first, as these can interact with certain medications.
Tips for good nail health
As a person ages, taking thoroughly concern of the nails can help prevent brittle nails and maintain healthy ones. The be tips may help :
- gently filing away snags or other rough spots on the nails to help prevent breaks
- not using metal tools or instruments when caring for the nails
- avoiding products such as nail polish remover that contains acetone
- wearing rubber gloves while doing the dishes and other tasks that involve water
- keeping the nails trimmed
- not picking at or biting the nails
When to see a doctor
Brittle nails are not necessarily a major induce for refer. however, a person may wish to see a doctor if they notice extra company symptoms. For exercise, fatigue duty could be a symptom of iron lack or anemia. Weight acquire or loss could indicate a thyroid issue. A person may besides want to see a doctor if home remedies to strengthen their nails are not working. They may be able to suggest extra treatments or determine the cause of the brittleness.
Read more: Top 10 Best Nail Salons in Fort Worth, Texas
Nails being excessively damp or besides dry typically causes them to become brittle. In less park cases, anemia or thyroid problems may be the cause. besides, as a person ages, they are more likely to develop brittle nails. A person can take steps to prevent brittle nails, such as wearing gloves when clean, practicing proper nail worry, and getting enough protein in the diet .