Each toe and fingernail has six structures :
- The nail matrix is the root of the nail. It grows out of a small pocket under your skin. The matrix is always making new cells that force the old ones to bunch up and get pushed through the skin. By the time you can see the nail, the cells there are dead.
- The nail plate is the visible part of the nail.
- The nail bed is under the nail plate.
- The lunula is part of the nail matrix. It’s the small, white crescent shape that you can sometimes see under your skin at the base of the nail plate.
- The nail folds are the skin grooves that hold the nail plate in place.
- The cuticle is the thin tissue over the base of the nail plate where it grows out of your finger.
Treating toenails that grow upward
If you feel that you might have onychogryphosis, NPS, or koilonychia, schedule an appointment with your doctor. The Healthline FindCare tool can provide options in your area if you don ’ metric ton already have a doctor. Whether or not you ’ re under a sophisticate ’ mho supervision, it ’ sulfur important to maintain your toenails. Upward-growing toenails tend to rip more much, exposing the area to infection, so careful hygiene is vital.
Read more: TOP 10 BEST NAIL SALONS IN SAN ANTONIO
The most crucial thing you can do is trim your toenails using a potent, shrill breeze through clipper. Cut each toenail to the point where it begins to curve up. Cut the nail straight across without cutting the edges inward. It ’ randomness besides important to leave the nail a little farseeing to prevent it from growing inbound. The goal is to have an flush nail. Try to avoid cutting nails when they are wet. Dry nails are less prone to cracking. here are some other tips for maintaining good foot and toe hygiene :
- Inspect your toenails at a minimum of once per week.
- Use a nail cleaner to carefully remove any dirt under your nails.
- Wash your feet in warm water and dry them thoroughly.
- Moisturize your feet with a foot cream after washing them. Rub the cream over your nails and cuticles as well.
- Ensure that your nails are smooth by filing them with an emery board. Among other benefits, this prevents them from catching on socks.
- Wear thick socks to cushion against the friction between your toenails and your shoe. Natural fiber socks absorb sweat better than synthetic ones, allowing your feet to breathe.
- Buy shoes that fit properly and have plenty of room for air movement.
- Avoid harsh chemicals such as strong soaps and detergents.
- In public places like gyms and swimming pools, don’t share towels, always dry yourself thoroughly, and never go barefoot. Always wear flip-flops, slides, or other appropriate footwear.
Read more: Top 10 Best Nail Salons in Austin, Texas
Outlook for this condition
It ’ s potential to have toenails ( and even fingernails ) that grow upward. To prevent this issue from arising or getting worse, keep your feet clean and dry, and trim your nails frequently. If your nails grow up, you have depressed smash beds, or you notice any other issues, make an date to see your repair .