fortunately, practising good hygiene and proper breeze through care on a daily basis can help you achieve clean and healthy-looking nails. To guide you, here ’ s a comprehensive examination article about everything you need to know when taking care of your nails .
How to Take Care of Your Nails: Your Questions Answered!
Nails dwell of a difficult surface which protects the tips of your fingers and toes. Having nails besides help people pick up objects and grasp them hard. here are some early facts you may not know about your nails .
Interesting Facts About Your Nails
- Nails are made of layers of a protein called keratin—the same substance your body uses to produce hair and the top layer of your skin.
- Fingernails grow slowly at an average of 3.5 millimetres (one-tenth of an inch) per month. And it will take about four to six months to regrow your nails completely.
- Your dominant hand’s fingernails grow faster.
- The fingernails of men grow faster than women’s nails. However, women’s hormones during pregnancy affect this growth.
- Fingernails do not sweat.
- Your nails need blood to survive. This is the reason why it can fall off after an injury as the lack of oxygen and other nutrients weakens the nail.
- Nails give clues of your internal health and wellbeing. Healthy fingernails are characterized by a uniform shape, a smooth surface without pits or grooves, a perfectly even and spot-free appearance.
unfortunately, not all smash conditions are convention. here are the tattletale signs that you have insalubrious nails.
How to Tell if You Have Unhealthy Nails?
These lines appear when you ’ ra suffer from tension or high fever. however, it can besides be a result of jamming your feel on a hard open .
Tiny white spots typically mean you ’ ve been biting your nails or applying polish excessively frequently .
Peeling, or splitting nails, can be an effect of dehydration or vitamin insufficiency .
Red and Swollen Skin
If you bite or remove your cuticles, you could experience swelling or pain around the peel .
Changes in Nail Shape
Have curled or spoon-shaped nails ? These could all be signs of iron lack and anemia .
consult a dermatologist if you are peculiarly concerned and diffident about your nail health. fortunately, many of these undesirable smash conditions can be resolved by proper nail concern. hera are 17 comfortable so far effective ways to get healthy and beautiful nails .
16 Foolproof Tips for Healthy and Beautiful Nails
1. Wash Your Hands Regularly
The first step of taking good care of your nails is to keep the areas near it clean. It ’ randomness crucial to wash your hands and feet regularly with soap to prevent crap and bacteria from accumulating under your fingernails .
2. Brush Your Nails
To further get rid of harmful bacteria, it ’ sulfur besides recommended you scrub your nails and skin with a soup-strainer. Doing so will remove and exfoliate any dead skin you might have without the indigence for harsh scrub full moon of chemicals .
Tip: Avoid scrubbing your nails approximately as they are finespun and can easily be exposed to infection .
3. Try a Moisturiser
unfortunately, regular wash and brush of hands can lead to dryness of hide and pinpoint sleep together. If potential, try to use a moisturiser after every wash and make sure to work it deep into your cuticles and nails. Nutrient-rich oils such as coconut oil besides work well to bring back the much-needed moisture to your skin .
4. Trim Your Nails
even though your nails grow lento, regular trims are essential to keep them at their optimum condition .
Use shrill manicure scissors or clippers to trim your nails straight across while rounding the tips in a ennoble curl. generally, you have to clip your nails once every two weeks but it will all depend on how fast they grow .
5. Leave Your Cuticles Alone
Do not remove or cut your cuticles as they are significant in keeping your nails away from harmful bacteria and potential infections. You are besides minimising the risk of having those unwanted hangnails by leaving your cuticles alone. It ’ south besides good not to tear the former as you might rip know tissue along with it .
6. Stop Biting Your Nails
Avoid biting your nails as it can make the tips of your fingernails look mismatched and deformed. You ’ re besides exposing them to the saliva from your mouth which overall results in unaccented and brittle nails. furthermore, by putting your fingers to your mouth, you are actually transmitting the scandal and germs normally found under your nails .
Did You Know? The oral compulsive substance abuse of biting nails is known as Onychophagia .
Tip: If you want to minimise this bad habit, you can try applying a coat of clear gel o-n your nails to make them besides blockheaded to bite through .
7. File Your Nails
File your nails lento and gently in one direction to smooth away any rough edges without damaging your breeze through beds.
Read more: Top 10 Best Nail Salons in Fort Worth, Texas
Sawing your nails back and away can weaken them causing it to break prematurely. It besides blunts your tips which ultimately makes it harder to create the hope condition .
8. Go Natural
While elaborate complete arts with bold colours can look pretty, opt to go natural rather as polishes can dry and weaken the social organization of your nails. It ’ south authoritative to give them enough clock time to rest and repair for stronger, healthier nails .
9. Avoid Harsh Nail Polish
Couldn ’ t resist getting a mani-pedi every once in a while ? Fret not as you can still indulge in such .
just make surely to avoid nail down polishes with toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, and toluene, as they can make your nails brittle and disconnected. Read the labels cautiously before purchasing one .
Tip: Water-based polishes, while not that durable compared to other polishes, are the safest option for your finespun nails .
10. Place Importance on Nail Health Over Length
tied though long, painted nails are absolutely stunning, you should place importance first and foremost on the health of your nails. It ’ sulfur recommended to keep them short ( particularly if you suffer from breakage or snags ) and focus on strengthening them alternatively. For an add benefit, shorter nails are easier to manage and look professional and neat overall .
11. Steer Away from Gel and Acrylic Manicures
many women swear by acrylic fiber and gel manicures ( as they are convenient and durable ) but it ’ sulfur best to steer away from them because they can cause damage to the nailbed .
For exemplify, acrylic nails involve the application of both fluent monomer and a gunpowder polymer to create a hard protective layer over your natural nails. This can cause legal separation because your nails are meant to have tractability. On the other handwriting, gelatin manicure requires exposure to UV light in a dry device which ultimately dries and damages the skin around the bark .
Did You Know? Gel manicures can increase your risk of cancer because it exposes your skin to harmful UV rays .
12. Pick a Good Nail Polish Remover
Like your pinpoint polishes, removers are besides harsh on your nails. When shopping for a smash polish removers, choose one with an acetone-free rule .
This 100 % Natural Nail Polish Remover from luxury nail care brand Kure Bazaar can wholly wipe off any varnishes minus the harmful acetone and foul smell .
13. Use Gloves When Doing Dirty Work
Washing the dishes, cleaning the home with harsh chemicals, or gardening can all be harmful to your nails. Always use gloves when doing anything that involves soaking and dirtying your hands. You should besides wear a couple of mittens when it gets chili external as the cold winds can result in dry and flaky skin .
14. Try Various Nail-Strengthening Treatments
You can try natural conditioning treatments to strengthen your nails. Conditioners such as nourishing nail oils can hydrate and nourish your brittle nails which ultimately makes them healthy and strong .
15. Eat a Healthy Diet
The clandestine to maintaining strong and beautiful nails is having a consistent, healthy diet. Make sure to eat foods rich in protein ( for clarity and shine ), zinc ( to eliminate white spots ), calcium ( for persuasiveness ), and vitamins A and C ( to prevent dullness ) .
16. Drink Water Regularly
If you have nails that constantly break and peel, you might be suffering from dehydration. Combat these unfavorable conditions by drinking 8-10 cups of water every day. This will ultimately help promote smash growth .
These tips provide an overview of prepping your nails to be hard and healthy for your manicure session. If you want to achieve beautifully manicured nails, follow these general rules on what to do and not to do when painting your own nails .
Nail Care: Dos and Don’ts When Painting Your Own Nails
- Don’t Shake Your Nail Polish Do Roll It When Mixing – Have a nail polish that sat for far too long on your vanity? You might be tempted to shake it in order to fix the separated formula. However, avoid doing so because it can show up as tiny bubbles on your nails when you paint them. Instead, roll the nail polish bottle between your hands to properly mix the formula.
- Don’t Apply Polish to Wet or Oily Nails, Do Keep Your Hand Dry Before Applying Polish – Now that you know how essential hydration is to have healthy nails, you might think that applying polish over wet and oily nail beds is perfectly fine. In fact, the opposite is actually true. You should keep your hand dry as much as possible for a long-lasting manicure.
- Don’t Paint Your Nails With Thick Coats of Polish, Do Apply Thin Layers for a Smooth Finish – Coating on thick layers of polish results in an uneven and bubbly finished look. In addition, you’ll be wasting a lot of your time by waiting for the polish to dry and fully harden. As such, you should stick to two coats maximum for a smooth, professional and long-lasting manicured nails.
- Don’t Forget to Apply a Base Coat, Do Finish with a Top Coat – Doing so can protect your nails from hard-to-remove stains and can even intensify the colour of the polish with just one coat. Likewise, you should finish the look with a top coat. Adding this will give your nails a glossy finish and even minimise chipping to help you get the most out of your manicure. After all, who wants their perfectly-painted nails to peel away so quickly?
- Don’t Use Cotton Balls, Do Remove Nail Paint with a Fuzz-Free Paper Towel – Cotton balls are probably your go-to material (besides the nail polish remover, of course!) for removing the paint on your nails. However, this material eaves fuzz which can stick to your nail s and ruin it. Use a paper towel instead because they don’t leave behind fuzz.
ALSO READ: Stunning Celebrity Nail Arts That You Can Copy
Read more: Top 10 Best Nail Salons in Austin, Texas
It ’ randomness easy to neglect the health of your nails if you can paint on them for an instantaneous glow-up. however, following some cosmopolitan collar concern rules can help you achieve a better al-qaeda for your bold-coloured nail polishes .
Keep yourself looking your best by reading more beauty tips found on our life style magazine .
Want to maintain healthy and beautiful nails? Check out our shop for the best nail care products .